“Be still and know that I am God.”
Mother Teresa expressed it this way:
“We need to find God, and He cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature-trees, flowers, grass-grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence….We need silence to be able to touch souls.”
If your mind is overextended and scattered or your outer world needs to be peaceful, calm and filled with joy, this is a signal that you have need to contact God (Divine, Spirit). You do not need to find more time or take a vacation from life. You need to cultivate an inner state of serenity. One great way to achieve this sense of inner stillness is through the practice of Prayer and Meditation.
Prayer is asking daily for God’s Presence to be Present, “I Am That I Am” including Jesus, Holy Spirit, Archangels, Guardian Angels and all others accepted by Him. This petitioning must resonates from within you then allow yourself to simply meditate, breathe and receive.
- Lord’s Prayer.
- Setting your Intentions (cares and concerns).
- Intercessory Prayer – the act of praying on behalf of others.
Meditation is simply waiting and listening in the Stillness to hear God speaking to you through your heart, mind and sometimes even your audible ears.
Types of Meditation include:
- Contemplation – a thought to contemplate an idea, word or scripture.
- Mindfulness – being fully present in the moment to gain deeper insight into your life.
- Focus/Concentration – calm your mind focus on a task. Release any chatter from the mind that pops up, and focus fully on what you are doing in the present moment.
- Guided Meditation – a form of a listening meditation where you listen to a meditation designed to calm your mind and connects you with the realms of Spirt, and the inner guidance of your soul.
- Praise and Worship – singing and/or playing an instrument that also calms your mind and connects and moves you through the realms of Spirit.
- Visualization – create positive thoughts, and mental pictures of what you would like to see and experience in your life. This is a powerful way to send healing towards yourself, others.
- Your style of meditation not listed, please share with me and others.
Stillness on a regular practice releases the mind to make contact with your God (Divine, Spirit) through communing your internal part of God. Remember, also, that any period of Stillness, regardless of the quality, is nourishing to your Body, Mind and Spirit. It has been proven when your brain waves slow down, your *mind* becomes more balanced and integrated, and this will help you feel rested and refreshed when you wake.
Create a rhythm of meditating every day.
You will be able to begin to watch the benefits rippling out into all areas of your life.
Select your meditation style. Listening to guided meditations uses a combination of several types of meditations and by simply breathing, relaxing and listening – you can gain full benefit which will increase as you continue to meditate.
Create time and space. Choose a regular time to begin each day, ideally a quiet place free from distractions and not busy including having the cell phone volume turned “Off”.
Set a timer. Set timer for 5 minutes and work gradually up to 15 minutes then slowly go to 40 minutes.
Find a comfortable sitting position. Sit either in a lotus position or in a chair with your feet on the ground, your arms and legs not crossed in a comfortable position.
Check your posture. Sit straight up, Relax shoulders and Close your eyes or Gaze downward 5-10 feet in front of you.
Take deep Breaths. Begin deep breathing with the 4-count Breathing Method (Inhale and count up to 1, 2, 3, 4, Hold for 4, Exhale for 4, Hold for 4), in order, to quiet your Mind and allow your Heart to open which slows down your heart rate.
Maintain attention of the Breath. As you continue the 4-count Breathing Method – focus on your “Breath” and if your attention wanders, just simply acknowledge and let go of the thoughts, feeling and distractions and return to the “Breath”.
“Go to the Place of Stillness, bask in God’s Presence and Listen.”
Simply intently listen by allowing yourself and your inner senses to become Receptors (Listeners) and You will be able to receive guidance, insight, and healing from God and others accepted by Him.
Journal your Experience and Be Blessed.